The convenience, ease of use, discretion, skin health benefits and effectiveness of baby diapers, feminine care products, incontinence products and personal care wet wipes mean that:
- Women, who are most often the main care givers in the family for both young children and ageing parents, can have greater opportunities outside the home thanks to the time saved in changing and laundering used products
- With the reduction of domestic chores associated with diapering, parents have more time to devote to their children’s development
- Due to modern feminine hygiene products, women today can live an almost unrestricted life.
- Older people with incontinence problems are able to lead active lives for longer, contributing to the economy and delaying their reliance on institutional support
- There is reduced incidence of skin dermatitis relieving pressure on already stretched health care systems;
- There is reduced incidence of the spread of infectious diseases in group care settings due to
- Care workers in hospitals and institutions are able to spend time on other caring activities due to.
What people say
“School was about 7 kilometres away and I could not come home easily if I had a problem at school. On most days all taps in the school, including those in the toilets ran dry. I had to change every 4-5 hours for about 3-4 days and ended up being absent from school at the beginning of each period."
Words of a young girl from Pune, Western India from the report 'Menstrual Hygiene and Management in Developing Countries: Taking Stock'